Not good news for retailers. Nielsen Wire reports the re emergence of recessionary attitudes. Their key findings are:
- 58% of global online consumers said they are still in a recession – the most in the past year. More than half believe they will still be in a recession in a year’s time.
- 31% of U.S. consumers said they have no spare cash for discretionary spending, along with 25% of Middle East/Africa consumers and 22% of Europeans.
- U.S. fell five index points to 78, two points lower than the 80 points recorded at the height of the recession in the first half of 2009.
- Indian consumers, despite a five point quarterly decline, remained the most positive.
- Largest confidence declines in Q2 were recorded in Egypt and Saudi Arabia, which had enjoyed the biggest increases in Q1 2011.
- Increasing utility bills and inflation again eclipsed the economy and job security as main concerns in Europe.
- Latin America consumer confidence edges up one index point to 91.